NASHOBA VALLEY COMMUNITY HEALTHCARE FUND
GRANT GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
FALL 2012 - Grant Cycle April 1, 2013 to March 30, 2014
The Community Foundation of North Central Massachusetts and the Greater Lowell Community Foundation (Community Foundations) are accepting applications for grant funding from the Nashoba Valley Community Healthcare Fund. The Fund's purpose is to advance the community health of residents in thirteen communities: Ashby, Ayer, Bolton, Dunstable, Groton, Harvard, Lancaster, Littleton, Lunenburg, Pepperell, Shirley, Townsend and Westford.
About the Grants
Grant awards will range from $5,000 up to $20,000 and should be appropriate to the scale of the project and demonstrate a wise and prudent use of funds. Priority will be given to, but not limited to, proposals pertaining to:
- Prevention of health problems
- Access to healthcare
- Elder health
- Youth and adolescent health, and
- Mental health
- Use of technology
- Health care service provision
Collaboration with other organizations is encouraged. Proposals should address efforts to build capacity and include a plan for sustainability. Use of technology to magnify the capacity of the grant to reach out and effectively address needs are encouraged, as well as proposals that leverage other resources. All proposals funded must demonstrate a clear impact on the community. Application for multi-year grants will not be considered at this time.
What We Do Not Fund
Funding requests that will not be considered include loans, attempts to influence legislation, and support where the Community Foundations may become the predominant long term source of revenue. Proposals for grants that do not directly benefit the geographic service area of the Fund will not be considered. Only one submission per applicant will be considered. Funding awards are made on a year to year basis.
What We Look For
The grant review committee will review the proposed project in terms of it's:
- Anticipated impact on the health of community residents
- Meeting well-defined community health needs
- Cooperation and/or collaboration among providers and residents
- The sustainability of the project once the grant has ended
- Promoting the use of technology
- Outcomes/Measurement/Evaluation of Change and/or Return on Investment
Who May Apply
Public agencies and nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations, coalitions, community associations and healthcare organizations are eligible whose projects advance the community health and show a direct impact on the residents in the identified communities. Applicants that do not have a tax-exempt status under IRS 501 (c)3 must secure a commitment from a financial sponsor/fiscal agent that is a 501 (c)3 organization, to take on the fiduciary responsibilities in connection with this grant.
How to apply
There are two steps to the application process, both utilizing the Associated Grant Makers' (AGM) Common Proposal Forms. Step One is open to all applicants.
Go to www.agmconnect.org/cpf/ for all forms.
Step One - Concept Paper - Application Deadline October 26, 2012 by 1:00 p.m.
The Concept Paper (application) documents required comprise of:
- 1. Cover Sheet - used for Concept Paper (and Final RFP, if invited) (MS WORD)
- 2. Proposal Summary (for Concept Paper Only) (MS Word)
- 3. Proof of Nonprofit Status, Public Agency Cert .or IRS 501(c)(3) tax determination letter
- Please note: the completion of the Concept Paper should follow the guidelines of AGM. However, in responding to the guidelines applicants must add a third item to the Concept Paper, briefly identifying the intended outcomes that will be produced as a result of the funding.
- Submissions can be no longer than two pages and a cover page - as outlined in the AGM guidelines.
- Submission of applications MUST be emailed to both of the following email addresses (it is recommended to request a "Read Receipt" when emailing your documents):
- Concept Papers will be reviewed by the Grant Review Committee and a limited number of applicants will be invited to step two - no later than November 18,2011.
Step Two - Final Proposal Deadline December 21, 2012 ONLY for applicants invited to Step Two - the final documentation requirements comprise of the following documents found at www.agmconnect.org
For Applicants invited to Step Two, the final documentation requirements comprise of:
- 1. Cover Sheet (MS Word) (same Cover Sheet used in Step One - AGM Form)
- 2. Full Proposal utilizing AGM's guidelines/form (MS Word)
- 3. Budget utilizing AGM's form (MS Excel)
- 4. The organization's most recent financial statements as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and IRS Form 990/990EZ (submit in PDF)
- 5. Certification that your organization endorses a policy of non-discrimination - supplied if invited to Full RFP
Where to send the Final Proposals
Please email all documents to both of the following email addresses (any additional attachments should be sumbitted in PDF format)
- Staff from either or both organizations may follow-up depending on the appropriateness of the Full Proposal or the need for additional information.
- In late January, the Fund's Advisory Committee will make recommendations to the Boards of Trustees.
- Grant notifications will be made on or around the first week of March 2013.
- Funds awarded are restricted for use to the proposal submitted and so are required to be identified as such in the subsequent annual financial statements. A copy of the subsequent financial statement is the final reporting requirement.
- Programmatic and financial progress reports will be required to be submitted in September 30, 2013 and March 30, 2014.
Ways to contact us
All questions regarding the concept paper or full proposal stages can be directed to either:
Kathy Heintz, Community Foundation of North Central Massachusetts at Kathy@cfncm.org or by telephone 978-345-8383 x20 OR
Ray Riddick, Greater Lowell Community Foundation at email@example.com or by telephone 978-970-1600
APPLICATION CHECKLIST (please " X " when completed)
|STEP ONE PROPOSAL COMPONENTS||COMPLETED|
| Proof of Nonprofit Status, Public Agency Certificate |
or IRS 501(c)(3) tax determination letter
|STEP TWO PROPOSAL COMPONENTS|
|Most Recent Financial Statements||__|
|IRS Form 990/990EX||__|
|Certification of Non Discrimination policy||__|